Applications Open for Residency in Kraków
Edinburgh City of Literature Trust
13 April 2023
Spend two months in Poland via the Kraków City of Literature 2023 international residency programme for writers and translators.
Edinburgh is a UNESCO City of Literature, which brings international opportunities for writers connected to the city. Are you a writer currently working on a project that would benefit from spending two months out in Poland? This residency programme is run by Kraków Festival Office, who run the Kraków UNESCO City of Literature programme, in partnership with Villa Decius Institute for Culture.
The residency is open to emerging writers and poets who have at least one published book. Applicants should be working on a writing project, and willing to learn more about the Polish writing community. The residency will give you a wonderful chance to work on your project in the optimal conditions for creative work, plus the opportunity to present your work to a new audience.
The residency programme will offer writers a two-month stay in Kraków from 1st July – 31st August, staying in the Villa Decius. Besides stipend, transportation costs to and from Kraków are covered. The Kraków Festival Office will give residents the opportunity to participate in the literary life of the city and help to develop opportunities for them to promote their works in Poland.Applicants to the residency must:
- Have a connection with any UNESCO City of Literature
- Have at least one published book (fiction or non-fiction), a poetry collection, screenplay or theatre script by the applicant
- Work on a literary project during the residency
- Have upper-intermediate level of spoken English
- Have an interest in the Central European region
- Be ready to participate in the literary life of Kraków, including events, meetings promotional interviews and engagements, festivals, where applicable
Residents will be asked to write a text (work of fiction or non-fiction) that will feature the City of Kraków (min. 6 000 to max. 11 000 characters with spaces) in some fashion and will be used in the future, published collection for promotional purposes.
To apply, please send the following documents to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Application form
- Extract from a published text (in Polish or English), no more than 2 pages in length
- Recommendation letter, letter of motivation (optional)
Applications should be submitted by April 23rd 2023. If you have any questions about the residency, or the application process, please contact Elżbieta Foltyniak.