Applications open for Ulyanovsk International Residency 2020
by Ali Bowden
City of Literature Trust
23 January 2020
Ulyanovsk City of Literature are now open to applications for their 2020 residency programme.
The residency is open to writers, poets, translators, playrights, screenwriters, illustrators, film directors, visualization artists, and photographers implementing literary projects within any of the UNESCO Cities of Literature.
Taking place from 1-30 September, the chosen residents are offered: one-month accommodation in the city center of Ulyanovsk; a scholarship of €1,000; cover of expenses on accommodation and participation in public events; and the opportunity to engage with the cultural scene of Ulyanovsk.
The residency was first opened in 2019, with poets Andrej Hochevar from Ljubljana (Slovenia) and David Howard from Dunedin (New Zealand) being the first guests.Ulyanovsk is a city with a great literary history, located on the banks of the widest Volga River.
Residents will work in the homeland of the great Russian writer Ivan Goncharov (author of the famous novel "Oblomov"), poet Nikolay Yazykov, and historian and writer Nikolay Karamzin, among many others.
- Interest in Russian culture and literature.
- High/average level of spoken English.
- At least one officially published book (fiction or non-fiction) (or screenplay, script or translation from Russian into another language), for artists and other applicants – at least one completed literary project.
- For writers – residents will be asked to write a text (work of fiction or non-fiction) that will feature the City of Ulyanovsk (min. 15 000 characters with spaces) and will be used in a future for publishing and promotional purposes (residents will be asked to permit printing, reproduction, translation of this short text to the City of Ulyanovsk Administration).
- For artists and other applicants – residents will be asked to create artwork related to literature and Ulyanovsk (the artwork will be used in a future for promotional purposes, residents will be asked to permit printing, reproduction, demonstration of this work to the City of Ulyanovsk Administration).
- Willingness to present the results of the work at the end of the month at the public event in Ulyanovsk (text/poems about Ulyanovsk (or artwork) and results of the resident's literary project).
- Willingness to take part in the literary life of Ulyanovsk, including events, meetings, promotional interviews and engagements, festivals, etc. (unless agreed otherwise, there is no additional honorarium for these activities).
- Work on the literary project.
- Application form (please log in to your Google Account to fill in the form)
- For writers, poets, translators – extracts from their published texts (in English or Russian) or a fragment of a translation (from Russian into another language); no more than two pages.
- For artists and other applicants – examples of their art projects related to literature.
- Recommendation letter.
Please attach all required documents to your application form.
Application deadline: April 30, 2020.
For more information about the residency, get in touch with Gala Uzryutov and Elena Titova on firstname.lastname@example.org, or visit the Ulyanovsk City of Literature website.