Applications open for Krakow City of Literature Residency 2020
by Ali Bowden
City of Literature Trust
16 Feb 2020
UNESCO City of Literature, Krakow, calls for applications for its International Residency Program for writers and translators.
The Residency is offered to a visiting writer from any of the UNESCO Cities of Literature with an interest in the literary community of Poland. As Edinburgh is a City of Literature in the Creative City Network, residents who match the programme criteria can apply.
What they offer:
The Residency will offer writers a two-month stay across the following dates:
• 1 May – 30 June 2020
• 1 September – 31 October 2020
Residents will stay at the Villa Decius, an official partner of the project with years of experience running international residencies, including the Visegrad Literary Residency and the ICORN residency program.
Besides stipend, transportation costs to and from Krakow will also be covered. Additionally, the Krakow Festival Office will guarantee residents the opportunity to participate in the literary life of the city, and help to develop opportunities for them to promote their work in Poland.
What they expect:
• Connection with any UNESCO City of Literature
• At least one published book (fiction or non-fiction), a poetry collection, screenplay or theatre script by the applicant
• Work on a literary project during the residency
• Upper-intermediate level of spoken English
• Interest in the Central European region
• Readiness to participate in the literary life of Krakow, including events, meetings, promotional interviews, and festivals, where applicable
• Residents will be asked to write a text (work of fiction or non-fiction) that will feature the City of Krakow (min. 6 000 to max. 11 000 characters with spaces) and will be used in the future, either as part of a published collection or for promotional purposes.
• Extract from a published text (in Polish or English), no more than 2 pages in length
• Recommendation letter, letter of motivation (optional)
To submit an application, please fill out the application form by 29 February, 2020.
In case of inquiries, please contact Elżbieta Foltyniak, firstname.lastname@example.org.
About the Residency
Krakow's Literary Residency Program is a strategic project of the Krakow UNESCO City of Literature Program, operated by the Krakow Festival Office, which will fulfil the priority of strengthening international cooperation in the field of literature and the creative industries.
It aims to promote the Cities of Literature Network, provide writers with a platform to showcase their work and talent to a Central European audience, support greater diversity of voices and literature on the Polish and Central European book market, and offer local writers the chance to create links with international writers.