Open call for Literary Residency in Ljubljana City of Literature
by Ali Bowden
City of Literature Trust
16 Feb 2020
Ljubljana is looking for applications for Writer in the Park, its literature residency programme for 2020.
Ljubljana, a UNESCO City of Literature since 2015, offers two one-month residencies for writers at the Švicarija/Swisshouse Creative Centre, which is part of the International Centre of Graphic Arts.
The Residency is offered to a visiting writer from any of the UNESCO Cities of Literature with an interest in the literary community of Slovenia. As Edinburgh is a City of Literature in the Creative City Network, residents who match the programme criteria can apply.
What they offer:
• The Residency will offer two one-month stays across May and then November 2020
• Each resident will get a sum amount of the grant and travel expenses of €1000
• Each resident will stay in their own, separate and fully equipped apartment with a kitchenette at Švicarija/Swisshouse
• Local public transportation costs will be covered
• Access to Wi-Fi will be provided
• Through targeted activities and networking opportunities, the organisers will help the residents get to know the vibrant art and literary scene in Ljubljana
• Opportunities to present the residents' work will be made possible, as well as meetings with translators, if necessary and/or applicable
• Residents are required to take care of medical insurance and are responsible for their meals and household. Additional guests cannot be hosted.
• Connection with any UNESCO City of Literature in the Creative City Network
• At least one published book of fiction (prose, poetry, or drama) in their language
• There are no restrictions regarding age, race, gender or nationality
What they expect:
• A short literary piece (a story, an essay, a series of poems) in connection to the Švicarija/Swisshouse’s central concept of 'community, art and nature', and Ljubljana, as a UNESCO City of Literature
• Willing and able to present their work to the public (e.g. at a reading)
• The resident is encouraged to partake in local literary events and other related activities
The Form should include the following information:
- Date of birth
- Originating UNESCO City of Literature
- Relation to originating UNESCO City of Literature
- Books published (most recent; at least one; if translated, list languages)
- Current interests and projects (up to 150 words)
- What will you most likely focus on during the residency (manuscript/project/networking/other)
- Preferred month (May/November/no preference)
Please send the application (in a DOC or PDF file) to: email@example.com (contact via this email or call +386 41 541 306 in case of any questions)
A draft of the contract is available upon request.
To be considered, please fill out the application form by 29 February, 2020.
About Ljubljana, City of Literature
Ljubljana, the capital of Slovenia, was a World Book Capital in 2010. After being designated a UNESCO City of Literature in 2015, it joined a world-wide network of 39 cities, and committed to actively promote literature, reading culture, and engage in activities that would strengthen the collaboration in the field of writing and publishing.
Ljubljana has a vibrant arts scene and offers an array of diverse literary events from alternative performances to big international festivals. The residency, established in 2018, offers peace and quiet for uninterrupted writing, and also the opportunity to actively engage in the city’s literary life.